Learning how to make pretzel buns / pretzel bread has been on my cooking bucket list for a few months. Hubby and I had them at a vegan restaurant during a weekend getaway, and unfortunately we live too far from the restaurant to go back and eat more of them! 🙁
The homemade version is a bit more “rustic” looking but still absolutely delicious. I served them with my homemade vegan broccoli cheese & potato soup and that meal instantly became a family hit.
I hope you’ll enjoy these vegan pretzel buns – I feel like I could have eaten the entire tray. I can’t wait to go back to the restaurant and have the originals, because even though my version is tasty, I still feel like my favorite foods are always ones I didn’t have to cook myself!
Vegan Pretzel Buns
Vegan Pretzel Buns Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter melted, can sub oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
Soda Water Bath
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- Mix water, yeast, and sugar. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Add melted vegan butter, flour, and salt, and combine until a thick dough is formed. Knead dough for about 5 minutes or process it in a food processor for 1 minute.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover, and let rest until doubled in size. Meanwhile, fill a pot with about 4 inches of water.
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Divide dough into 8 equal parts and shape as desired. To make the long rolls as pictured, I rolled each piece of dough into a rectangle and rolled from long side to long side.
- Bring the water to a boil and stir in the baking soda. Drop the dough into the water and cook for about 30 seconds each side.
- Place the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and score the top of the buns. Bake until pretzel buns are dark brown on all sides, about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm!