This vegan gravy has a delicious savory flavor that tastes lovely over mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables. It’s so simple and makes dinners extra special. Make it gluten-free by using a gluten free flour.
How To Make Vegan Gravy
This recipe is quick & easy – really it only takes about 10-15 minutes tops. It’s made without nutritional yeast or other hard-to-find ingredients. You will need to have some vegetable bouillon or vegetable stock, but in a pinch you can use plain water.
There’s a summary of this recipe at the bottom of the post. Here are photos of the steps for those of you who learn by seeing, as I do!
Step 1 – Melt butter
Step 2 – Whisk in flour
Step 3 – Slowly add liquid & seasonings
Step 4 – Bring to boil & cool
Step 5 – Add browning sauce (optional)
Step 6 – Serve & enjoy
Don’t rush it – As the recipe states below, add the liquid gradually to the melted butter and flour. Otherwise, it’ll just be more frustrating to incorporate it.
Make it gluten-free – You can sub the all-purpose flour with your choice of gluten-free flour.
Add flavor – you can use any flavor of vegetable bouillon or vegetable stock in this. For the seasoning, I usually use an herbs de provence blend (which is comprised of savory, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano) but you can use different dried or fresh herbs such as:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried green onion
- paprika powder
- chili powder
Strain it – Once the gravy is done, I like to filter out the herbs using a fine mesh sieve. This isn’t necessary, but I like the smoother finish that you get if you strain it real quick. It only takes a second!
Add browning sauce – I use a tiny amount of a browning sauce called kitchen bouquet to add a darker brown color to my gravy. If you don’t use it, it’ll still be delicious, but the color will be lighter. I first heard of browning sauce in an 1800s cookbook (sadly, I can’t remember which one!) where it was made by cooking brown sugar and water. Here’s a recipe to make it at home.
Pair this vegan gravy with:
Easy Vegan Gravy
- Melt vegan butter in a skillet and whisk in flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes (do not brown).
- Dissolve the vegan bouillon in water, then gradually whisk it into the flour/butter mixture. Add herbs if using, then cook at medium-low heat until thickened (it's okay if it boils, just keep stirring so it doesn't burn).Taste it to see if more salt or pepper is needed.
- Filter out the herbs using a fine mesh sieve (optional). Add a little browning sauce to make it a darker brown (if you want).
- The gravy may be frozen for later use. When using thawed gravy, the texture will be lumpy at first. Microwave or warm it on the stove until it’s hot, then add a bit more water and blend it to make it smooth again.
- You can use 2 cups of vegetable broth instead of vegetable bouillon and water.