This is the BEST vegan banana bread – With a great banana flavor & aroma, topped off with a crunchy streusel crust. This easy vegan banana bread will quickly become your family’s favorite!
This vegan banana bread is made without any eggs, milk, or butter. Actually, the original recipe (from my mother’s recipe tin) called for lard! No lard in this recipe either.
Vegan Banana Bread
To make this banana bread vegan, we replace the lard with coconut oil and omit the eggs altogether.
Once you stop using animal products in your baking, you may notice that your cakes, cookies, and banana breads such as this actually smell better. I swear!
Banana Bread With Coconut Oil
As I mentioned before, this banana bread is made with coconut oil. I just about always use refined coconut oil in my baking because it doesn’t give a coconut flavor to the final product.
It’s possible to use something like vegan butter instead of coconut oil. But after checking labels on many brands of vegan butter, I’ve noticed that the ingredients A). vary in their water content and other ingredients, and B). often are made of mostly coconut oil anyway.
So to make things simple (and less expensive), I make this banana bread with coconut oil.
Recipe For Vegan Banana Bread
This is what you need your bananas to look like in order to make a proper banana flavor in banana bread:
The bananas should be very ripe, their peels turned brown.
The best way to achieve this is to allow your bananas to ripen naturally on the counter until they are mostly brown. They should feel really soft and “past the point” of eating them.
Then, what I do is put these very overripe bananas in the freezer. I just carefully set them in the freezer in their peels. They’ll freeze up perfectly. I don’t put them in any containers, just set directly in the freezer.
Later, when I need them for a recipe, I’ll take them out and let them thaw on the counter. You can also defrost them in the microwave without any issues.
Once thawed, they will be very delicate. I simply puncture the peel and pull it open, and the entire banana will fall out easily into a bowl. It will be a dull brown color and somewhat transparent, this is the normal result of the starches breaking down and becoming sweeter.
Using these very over-ripe bananas will result in a slightly sweeter, more aromatic banana bread with a lovely dark color and a darker (yet still soft) crust.
Banana Bread Crumb Topping
You can add a crumb topping (also known as a streusel) to this banana bread before baking. The recipe is below where it says “Crumb Topping.” Make sure you press the streusel pieces into the banana bread batter or else they will break off too easily when you try to slice the bread.
Banana Bread With Walnuts
In addition to the optional crumb topping, you can also make this banana bread with walnuts. Use 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and add it into the banana bread batter before pouring it into a pan.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 over-ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
Crumb Topping (optional)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Cream sugar and coconut oil. Add vanilla extract. Beat in bananas until well blended.
- Sift flour, salt and soda, add to banana mixture. Optional: stir in chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan.
- For the topping (Optional): Melt coconut oil, water and sugar in skillet. Add flour and cinnamon, mix well and let bubble for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Crumble over batter, gently pressing it in with back of spoon just enough to stick.
- Bake 60-70 minutes, until center is firm. Use a toothpick to check for done-ness in the center of the loaf – if it comes out clean, it's done. If it comes out with batter on it, bake another 5-10 minutes. Once the banana bread is done, cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on rack or clean towel. Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.
- Banana bread freezes well for up to a month. Store it in a plastic ziplock bag or in a tightly-wrapped tinfoil in the freezer.
- Use all-purpose flour if you have it. Cake flour will work, but the resulting loaf will be a bit softer than ideal.
Vegan Banana Bread – Share Yours!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out. Upload a picture of it to Instagram and tag me @InstantVeg!
Hopefully in this post you’ve learned how to make vegan banana bread and will soon be making a gorgeous brown loaf of banana-y goodness!