This vegan pasta salad has a delicious pesto made from olives and parsley, which go perfectly with cherry tomatoes, fresh broccoli, red onion, and chickpeas. It’s a great vegan dish to bring to a party or for meal-prepping lunches for the week!
I always love finding good packable lunches that are also vegan. This pasta salad keeps very well in the fridge for up to 5 days, and tastes delicious whether eaten cold or at room temperature.
The procedure to make this vegan pasta salad is very simple. All you need to do is boil and drain the pasta, drain a can of chickpeas, and slice the tomatoes, broccoli, and onion.
I made a special olive & parsley pesto to coat this salad that can be made easily in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also make the pesto by chopping the parsley and olives until they are finely minced.
This recipe makes a large quantity, so if making the full recipe, you’ll want to have a large bowl or container that you can fit in the fridge. If making for only one person, you can adjust the recipe using the slider to scale it down by half or more.
You can pack this vegan pasta salad into meal prep containers to bring it along for lunches to school or work. It’s a good filling lunch that sneaks protein and fresh veggies into your day.
I used canned olives to make the pesto. You can use whole, sliced, or chopped black olives.
Vegan Pasta Salad
- 16 ounces pasta cooked – bowties or fusili work well
- 1 cup broccoli chopped finely
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 15 oz (1 can) chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (other vinegar ok)
- salt & pepper to taste
For The Pesto
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, slice veggies, and rinse & drain chickpeas.
- In a food processor, combine parsley, olives, garlic, and oregano and process until fine. Slowly add olive oil while processor is running.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked pasta with veggies and pesto. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Chill, covered, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- After 1-2 days you can add another teaspoon or so of apple cider vinegar if desired.