Vegan brioche bread is perfect for toast, or make it into rolls to serve with dinner, buns to hold vegan burgers, or just eat it warm from the oven! This recipe is super simple and results in a soft, moist, and sweet brioche that’s dairy-free and eggless.
Is brioche vegan?
No, traditional brioche is NOT vegan. Unless it specifically is labled as labeled as being vegan, that is.
Nevertheless, we all love brioche but finding a truly vegan brioche at the grocery store is almost impossible.
What is brioche?
Brioche is a rich sweet bread that’s traditionally made with extra butter and eggs. It has a soft, tender crumb due to the added protein and fat content.
You can use this bread to make any number of things. My favorite is to use it to make a yummy (and insanely simple) vegan baked french toast.
Vegan Brioche Recipe Ingredients
Before you embark on making your brioche baking, I suggest you go through the list of ingredients and make sure you have them all. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cake flour (or bread flour is okay too. All purpose flour works but the texture won’t be as fine)
- Vegan butter (you can use store bought buttery spread or vegan buttery sticks)
- Warm water
- Instant yeast
- Vital wheat gluten
- Organic cane sugar
I highly recommend using a food processor to work the dough. You can also knead it by hand, but don’t skip the kneading either way! Kneading is essential to developing the gluten, which will give the bread it’s chewy texture.
The Best Vegan Brioche Bread
For The Glaze
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp water
- ½ tsp vegan butter
- Mix the flour, vital wheat gluten, yeast, baking soda, and sugar in a large bowl. Pour in the warm water and melted vegan butter. Stir together well, adding extra spoonfuls of flour if needed, until a thick dough is formed.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes or process in a food processor about 2-3 minutes, until dough pulls away easily from the side. Sprinkle in extra flour as needed.
- Cut dough into 3 or more equal parts and pull into strips. Loosely roll the strips up and place in a greased loaf pan or 9×9" baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit or until crust is golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Take out the brioche and brush with the glaze. Let bake another 5 minutes or until crust is deep brown. Brush on an additional coating of glaze after removing from the oven.
- Let the vegan brioche cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then remove. Try not to eat it all at once!