What Is A Seitan Roast?
The bulk of this vegan turkey recipe is made from vital wheat gluten, which is a flour made from gluten, then main protein in whole wheat flour. Wheat gluten that has been added to liquid and cooked is called seitan. A seitan roast can be flavored with herbs, spices, and broth to give it the taste of various types of roast meat.
How To Make Vegan Turkey For Thanksgiving
Cooking up a tasty vegan turkey for Thanksgiving was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Certainly it was much easier than cooking an actual turkey!
To make this vegan thanksgiving turkey, you’ll want to start at least 1 day before you plan to serve it. This recipe requires a little extra time because you need to give the turkey time to absorb the savory broth, which will give it more flavor and greatly improve its texture.
Vegan Turkey Recipe – Preparation Photos
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp aji no moto
- ½ tsp dried sage powder
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 gallon water
- 2 cups onion
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 8 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients and mix until stiff dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes or process in food processor 1-2 minutes.
- Form dough into a round loaf and wrap with parchment paper. Then wrap in 2 layers of heavy-duty tinfoil, twisting the ends off (not too tightly as it will need some room to expand).
- Place foil-wrapped vegan turkey directly on middle oven rack and bake 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all the broth ingredients to a large pot (or Instant Pot) and bring to a simmer, then turn off heat.
- After removing the vegan roast from the oven, let it cool 30 minutes and then unwrap and place in the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes in the broth.
- Allow the roast to cool until lukewarm then place in an air-tight container, cover with broth, and let chill at least 8 hours or up to 1 week to marinate. (To freeze, seal roast in freezer-safe bag without broth up to 3 months. It will need to thaw overnight before it can be reheated safely).
- To finish the roast before serving: Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Melt vegan butter in a skillet; while it's melting, combine the rest of the browning ingredients. Cook the roast in the vegan butter until the sides are lightly browned, then add the rest of the combined broth ingredients. Cook over medium heat until liquids are dissolved.Then, transfer the vegan turkey roast to a shallow baking dish and bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- To serve, slice the roast as you wish and serve with vegan gravy and/or cranberry sauce. Cooked roast should be used within 5 days.
- The Aji no Moto is optional, and can be substituted with 2 Tbsp white miso paste.