The word “Makaronilaatikko” translates literally to macaroni box but it means more like macaroni casserole. The customary way to make it uses eggs, milk, butter, and ground beef or beef and pork. Obviously, this vegan version of makaronilaatikko is not going to include and of those things!
I make this recipe with vegan “beefless crumbles” which are usually soy-based. You can find them in the frozen food section in just about any grocery store.
Vegan Baked Macaroni & Cheese, Finnish Style (Vegaani Makaronilaatikko)
- Frying pan
- 9"x13" baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and chop the onion.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. While it is cooking, melt the vegan butter in a skillet and whisk in the flour. Let it cook about a minute but don’t brown.
- Slowly whisk in the oat cream and let it cook until bubbling. Turn off the heat and whisk in the vegan cheddar, water, pepper and salt if using.
- Lightly grease a 9×13” baking dish with vegan butter and pour in the cooked drained pasta. Add the beefless crumbles, chopped onion, and the vegan cheese sauce. Stir until well combined. Sprinkle on a few more vegan cheese shreds if desired.
- Bake the vegan macaroni for about 35-40 minutes uncovered. Serve with ketchup.