Avocado toast is one of the best vegan breakfasts you can make. It’s easy, quick, nutritious, and ridiculously yummy.
The process of making avocado toast at home simply involves toasting some bread of your choice, and then spreading on some nice ripe avocado.
You can sprinkle on some salt and pepper if you want, or add a number of toppings.
My favorite topping is Everything But The Bagel seasoning, which is from Trader Joe’s although you can also find it on amazon.com.
I also like using sourdough bread for my toast, although I’ve used many types of bread including cheap white bread and the kind of bread that’s practically bird seed – they are all good!
It’s always best to use a good ripe avocado when you make avocado toast. If your avocado is slightly underripe, you can add a little bit of plant-based milk to make it more creamy.
Avocado Pro Tip: once your avocados have ripened on the counter top, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Avocado Toast Recipe
I hope you enjoy this simple avocado toast recipe. If you’ve never had avocado toast before, you’re in for a treat.
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tsp unsweetened plant-based milk IF your avocado is under-ripe
- 1 tsp “everything bagel” seasoning
- While the bread is toasting, slice open the avocado and discard the seed.
- Scoop out avocado flesh and pick out any black spots. Add 1 tsp plant milk if your avocado is slightly under-ripe and mash avocados with a fork until creamy.
- Spread mashed avocado on toast and sprinkle with "everything bagel" seasoning.
Avocado Toast Toppings
Another avocado toast topping idea is to chop up some pickled jalapeño peppers and sprinkle on a little dried garlic:
Here are three ideas for avocado toast toppings:
- Cherry tomatoes and dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Thinly sliced cucumber, fresh arugula, and salt and pepper.
- Thinly sliced beets with salt and pepper.
Fresh basil makes a delicious topping to avocado toast as well: