This yellow rice is made using leftover rice and is perfect for packing in kids’ (or grown up’s!) lunchboxes. With a tasty blend of turmeric and savory seasonings, the’ll gobble up their veggies without giving it a second thought!
I learned a long time ago that it’s always better to make a little too much rice than to make too little for suppertime.
After all, if you make too little, you’ll be hungry all night. But if you make a little more than you know you’ll need, you can use the leftovers to make fried rice, or this healthy yellow rice.
Turmeric is what gives it that appetizing yellow color – and it also adds some umami flavor.
This rice is perfect for packing in lunchboxes because it tastes good hot, cold, or at room temperature. I like to add some cherry tomatoes in with it too.
Chopping up carrots and onions into small pieces makes them cook up softer and therefore be less noticeable in this dish. If your kids aren’t big fans of veggies, try this rice and see – they might be willing to eat the veggies if they’re incorporated into the rice.
How To Make Yellow Rice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3-4 cups leftover rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the onions until they are glossy, then add the carrots, turmeric, mustard seeds, and garlic and cook another minute.
- Add in the rice, breaking it up with a rigid spoon or spatula.
- Add in the rest of the spices, the peas, and the water. Set the heat to low and cook, covered, for 2-3 minutes.