Oh how I wish I had known this chickpea salad recipe when I was a brand new vegan! It’s so easy to make, the ingredients are cheap and simple, and the end result is delicious and satisfying.
I like to make it in a mason jar – I just add a can of chickpeas (drained) to the jar, add in the rest of the ingredients, slap on a lid and shake. The fridge does the rest of the work.
After the chickpea salad has chilled for about 8 hours, it’s ready to be eaten. I like to make it before I go to bed so I can have it for breakfast and lunch the next day.
This chickpea salad recipe is:
- cheap! – the total cost is roughly a dollar.
Chickpea Salad with Bell Pepper and Carrot
- Prep: Drain the chickpeas. Chop the bell pepper finely and shred the carrot. Mince the garlic if not already minced.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl or mason jar and shake/stir well.
- Cover and let marinate in the fridge at least 8 hours. Keeps up to 3 days in the fridge.
- I prefer to use red bell pepper with this chickpea salad, but you can use any color including green or a combination of colors. The taste will vary slightly depending on which color you choose so choose flavors that you like!
- If you don’t have a pre-made Italian seasoning spice mix, use a pinch of each of these dried spices:
- I use California-produced olive oil from Cobram Estate in this and all my recipes calling for olive oil.
Other Uses For This Vegan Chickpea Salad
Try making this chickpea salad for weekly meal prep! Since it keeps about 3 days in the fridge, you can prep a few portions in mason jars and they’ll be ready to eat by the time you need them. This recipe would also be great to bring along as a vegan camping meal. I recommend putting the ingredients in a plastic baggie or lightweight reusable container.
I’ve got more packable vegan lunch recipes like this chickpea salad!