This chickpea salad is a tasty & healthy make-ahead dish that you can serve as a high-protein breakfast, pack for lunch, or eat as a snack or side dish. Make it in about 5 minutes with canned chickpeas!
Oh how I wish I had known this chickpea salad recipe when I was a brand new vegan! It’s so easy to make, the ingredients are cheap and simple, and the end result is delicious and satisfying.
I like to make it in a mason jar – I just add a can of chickpeas (drained) to the jar, add in the rest of the ingredients, slap on a lid and shake. The fridge does the rest of the work.
After the chickpea salad has chilled for about 8 hours, it’s ready to be eaten. I like to make it before I go to bed so I can have it for breakfast and lunch the next day.
This chickpea salad recipe is:
- cheap! – the total cost is roughly a dollar.
Chickpea Salad with Bell Pepper and Carrot
- Prep: Drain the chickpeas. Chop the bell pepper finely and shred the carrot. Mince the garlic if not already minced.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl or mason jar and shake/stir well.
- Cover and let marinate in the fridge at least 8 hours. Keeps up to 3 days in the fridge.
- I prefer to use red bell pepper with this chickpea salad, but you can use any color including green or a combination of colors. The taste will vary slightly depending on which color you choose so choose flavors that you like!
- If you don’t have a pre-made Italian seasoning spice mix, use a pinch of each of these dried spices:
Other Uses For This Vegan Chickpea Salad
Try making this chickpea salad for weekly meal prep! Since it keeps about 3 days in the fridge, you can prep a few portions in mason jars and they’ll be ready to eat by the time you need them. This recipe would also be great to bring along as a vegan camping meal. I recommend putting the ingredients in a plastic baggie or lightweight reusable container.
I’ve got more packable vegan lunch recipes like this chickpea salad!