This vegan buttercream frosting is made with coconut oil, giving it a lighter taste and a pleasantly fluffy consistency. Use my foolproof method and you’ll never have a grainy frosting ever again.
Have you ever made frosting using coconut oil that turned out grainy and, well, wrong? It happened to me, once…
So I have developed this recipe for vegan buttercream frosting that’s fluffy – yet holds it’s shape when piped – so that you never have to make bad frosting again. It’s my favorite vegan frosting for cake and it’s perfect for piping.
How To Make Vegan Frosting
In order for this frosting to turn out right, you need to melt your coconut oil and chill it in the freezer before you start making it into frosting.
This process of liquifying and quickly solidifying the coconut oil helps the final result be smooth and buttery, instead of grainy.
I recommend doing this melting and cooling process every time you make coconut oil-based frosting, even if using a brand new jar. It reincorporates the more solid compounds that have separated in the coconut oil, and it makes a huge difference!
Other Vegan Dessert Recipes
Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup coconut oil *see instructions
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2⅓ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3-4 tsp agave syrup (maple syrup or corn syrup OK)
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for about 1 minute, then stir it until all the solid bits are dissolved. Place it in the freezer for 25 minutes or until it has solidified.
- Allow the coconut oil to come to room temperature before proceeding. If it is too cold/hard, breaking it up with a fork and a hand mixer will help it soften.
- Whip the room-temp coconut oil with a hand mixer until it's creamy. Check for any chunks and crush them up.
- Cream the vanilla extract with the coconut oil.
- Mix in the powdered sugar in 3 goes, then add in the syrup and oil and whisk until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
- If you put the completed frosting in the fridge, it will harden, so it’s best to make it on the same day that you need it.
- Use clear imitation vanilla extract to get a more true white frosting.