Vegan General Tso's Tofu
A vegan take on the beloved American-Chinese takeout classic, General Tso's Chicken.
Servings: 4 servings
Cost: $3.01 recipe / $0.38 serving
- 1 13 oz block extra firm tofu $2.40
- 3 tsp minced garlic $0.06
- 2 tsp soy sauce $0.03
- 1 tsp chili flakes $0.01
- 1 tsp beer *see notes $0.09
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder $0.03
- 2 Tbsp corn starch $0.11
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.09
For The Sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar $0.02
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar $0.01
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce $0.09
- 1 tsp aji-no-moto $0.02
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp corn starch $0.06
Drain tofu for 30 minutes by setting it in a colander. Set a plate with a heavy can on top for extra weight to help it drain.
In a large bowl, add the minced garlic, chili flakes, beer, and ginger, and stir to combine.
Cut drained tofu into bite-sized cubes and gently mix it into the garlic sauce until tofu is completely coated. Cover and let rest in fridge for 1 hour.
In the meantime, make the sauce. Mix all the sauce ingredients together EXCEPT the cornstarch. Cover and let rest in fridge until you're ready to cook the tofu.
Heat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp cornstarch over the tofu and shake to coat evenly (or gently stir). Spread marinated tofu cubes onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the tofu from the oven and stir to coat in the hot oil.
Remove sauce from fridge and whisk in 1 tsp cornstarch. Pour into the frying pan and stir gently until sauce is boiling, then turn off heat.
Garnish plated tofu with sesame seeds and serve with steamed veggies and rice.
- Aji-No-Moto is MSG, which is a commonly added in asian recipes to add the flavor umami. It's what makes Chinese takeout so mouth-watering! If you prefer not to use it, just leave it out. The difference is subtle, but I always use it at home in this dish.
- To make a low-sodium version, replace soy sauce with coconut aminos. You can buy it on Amazon here.
- You can replace the beer with white wine, cooking wine, or water.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g | Sodium: 361mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g