This 5 ingredient vegan tomato soup is super easy to make in the Instant Pot. It’s made using fresh plum tomatoes, mirepoix, olive oil, and herbs. The perfect way to use up lots of ripe tomatoes!
In order to make this soup, it is recommended to use some specific equipment. First of all I use the Instant Pot to cook it. If you want, you could also make this soup on the stove, by bringing the ingredients to a boil and then letting them simmer for an hour.
How To Make Vegan Tomato Soup
This soup recipe is pretty quick – it takes roughly 30-40 minutes to make. While the soup is cooking you can prepare a salad or toast some bread to have with the soup.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Plum or Roma tomatoes
- Mirepoix (which is the technical term for a blend of chopped onions, carrots, and celery)
- Olive oil (if you want the soup to be oil free, I would sub the oil with 1/2 cup of cashew milk)
- Italian seasoning (oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, garlic powder, onion powder)
Step 1 – Cook tomatoes, mirepoix, seasoning and water in Instant Pot
You’ll need to pressure cook them for 25 minutes at high pressure. You can do a quick release when done.
Step 2 – Filter the soup
Once the soup is cooked, it is pushed through a food mill. Food mills are perfect for getting the seeds out of a liquid of cooked tomatoes. It also takes the skins out easily. Then the soup is pushed through a mesh sieve to get the smallest seeds out and a bit more of the roughage, making it nice and smooth.
Step 3 – Add olive oil, salt, and pepper
I like to use an immersion blender to mix in the olive oil, but a good long spoon should do the trick just as nicely.
Step 4 – Serve nice and hot
Of course, tomato soup always tastes better with lots of freshly ground black pepper. I also add fresh basil and a spoonful of nutritional yeast to mine.
5 Ingredient Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot
- Food mill
- Mesh sieve
- Immersion blender
- 8 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup mirepoix
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups water
- Wash the tomatoes and place them in the Instant Pot with the mirepoix and Italian seasoning. Add 2 cups of water. Cook on high pressure 25 minutes. Do a quick release when done.
- Let the cooked tomatoes cool then push them through a food mill to remove the seeds and skins. For a smoother soup, push it through a mesh sieve also using a ladle (recommended).
- Add the olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. Stir well or use an immersion blender until the oil is completely mixed in.
- Serve hot, optional garnishes include freshly ground black pepper, fresh basil leaves or nutritional yeast.