We had a few fresh strawberries to use up after making our vegan vanilla cake earlier this week, so we decided to make strawberry pancakes. It was a decision we do not regret!
If you have kids, they’re going to love you more than ever for making them these luscious vegan strawberry pancakes. Even better, get them to help you make them!
Nothing build’s a kid’s muscle like a minute or two of whisking aquafaba into a foam… ha!
How To Make Strawberry Pancakes
First, you’re going to need some strawberries. But just a few! You only need a half a cup or so. You can add more, but half a cup will do.
We used fresh strawberries to make our pancakes, but frozen will work too. They just need to be cut up into little pieces like this:
Next thing you’ll need is aquafaba. If you have canned beans, you have aquafaba! If you have dry beans, you can make it overnight and it’ll be ready by morning.
Whip the aquafaba into a foam using a balloon whisk.
Then measure out just under 1 half cup of unsweetened, plain plant based milk. I guess vanilla flavored would work in a pinch, although I prefer to use plain.
This is how much soy milk we use:
Then add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to it. Distilled (white) vinegar works too. Stir it into the milk and let it curdle for about 5 minutes.
In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients:
Flour – we use all-purpose-flour for pancakes.
Baking soda –
And 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
Mix your dry ingredients well. Kudos to my youngest for mixing the drys!
Don’t forget a tablespoon of sugar. You need that sugar to make the pancakes have a little crispiness on the exterior. Don’t ask me why we have a Swedish table spoon…
Pour the oil into the soy milk & vinegar mixture, and mix to combine.
Then whisk all the wet ingredients together.
Then pour the dry ingredients into the wet mix.
The batter will be thick, but not too thick.
Stir in the chopped strawberries.
Now your vegan strawberry pancake batter is ready to go!
Fry the pancakes on a hot griddle – about 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
You’ll know they’re ready to flip when you see dry bubbles on the surface, usually more near the edges.
Flip them over and cook the other side about 1 minute.
Serve with vegan butter and maple syrup – or strawberry syrup, vegan whipped cream, and more chopped strawberries!
Vegan Strawberry Pancakes
- 1/4 cup aquafaba *can sub with 1/4 cup soy milk
- just under 1 cup soy milk plain unsweetened
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberries chopped
- vegan butter to grease the griddle
- Whip the aquafaba until foamy (don't need to form peaks, just foam). Add the vinegar to just under 1 cup of soy milk and allow it to curdle for a minute.
- Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl (including aquafaba and soymilk+vinegar). Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Heat an electric griddle to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until smooth. Gently stir in the strawberries. Batter will be thick!
- Fry on the griddle greased with vegan butter. Flip when bubbles on the surface of the batter have popped open and dried. Fry the reverse side for about a minute.
Check out our other vegan pancakes recipes!