While they may not be a traditional St. Patrick’s day food by any means, I can tell you that these copycat shamrock shakes are worth making anyway. Who can say no to yummy mint ice cream?
Making the shamrock shakes vegan is easy. All you need to do is mix together some coconut milk, sugar, aquafaba, and mint extract (not peppermint), and then freeze it. You can add a few drops of plant-based food coloring too if you want it to be green.
At this point, you have vegan mint ice cream. You are allowed to reward yourself with a spoonful of it already if you wish.
Next, add some plant-based milk to a blender (or a food processor). I used unsweetened soy milk, because that’s always in my fridge. But you can use any other kind of plant-based milk or nut milk, sweetened or unsweetened.
Then, scoop in your mint ice cream and blend, blend, blend until it’s all looking smooth and luscious. Pour into glasses and you’ve got yourself one tasty dessert!
Be sure to check out my vegan Irish stew recipe for more St. Patrick’s day goodness!
Vegan Shamrock Shake
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup aquafaba
- 3-4 tsp mint extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups plant-based milk I used soy
- A few drops of vegan green food dye
- Edible flowers & clovers I used speedwell flowers in the photo
- Whisk the aquafaba with an elecric mixer until it forms soft peaks.
- Slowly mix in the coconut milk, mint extract, and sugar.
- Freeze mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Scoop the mint ice cream into a blender or food processor and combine with 2 cups plant based milk.