This rich vegan red velvet cake is made with beets and raspberries to create a deep red color. Accompanied with a luscious vegan cream cheese frosting, this red velvet cake will be perfect for a vegan Valentine’s Day!
I wanted to make a vegan red velvet cake for a long time, but one of the biggest problems was how to make it actually vegan.
I decided to use raw beets and raspberries to make the red color instead of using red food coloring and I think it turns out beautifully!
It’s important that you do not use canned beets for this recipe – the cooking process will destroy the color and instead of a bright red you’ll end up with a dull pink/brown color.
Vegan Red Velvet Cake
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw beet
- 1/2 cup rasperries
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese (I use Daiya brand) softened
- ½ cup vegan butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Vegan Red Velvet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line 2 round cake pans with parchment paper. Grate and purée the beet until smooth like applesauce (add a small amount of water if necessary). Heat the raspberries for 1 minute in the microwave, then strain the seeds and add to the beet purée.
- Mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients and the beet/berry purée.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake 30-35 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out dry, the cake is done.
- Let the cakes cool about 15 minutes, then remove from pans. Allow to cool completely, then frost with vegan cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with cake crumbs to decorate.
For The Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Use a hand mixer to combine the frosting ingredients until light and fluffy.
- For cupcakes, bake 18-22 minutes.