After lots of experimentation, trying to figure out just exactly how to replace the buttermilk and eggs in the pancakes, I have concluded on a really easy vegan pancake recipe that produces fluffy American-style pancakes, very similar in taste and texture to the ones I grew up eating.
Vegan Pancakes Recipe
Here’s our classic vegan pancake recipe, for regular pancakes without any added fruits. This recipe doesn’t use any aquafaba or other ingredients that are hard to obtain. I recommend using soymilk for the batter because it curdles easily and has a richer taste than other plant-based milks.
- Electric Griddle
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- First stir together the wet mix ingredients: 1 cup of soymilk, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, and ¼ cup of vegetable oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: 1 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and ¾ teaspoon of salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and whisk together until there are almost no lumps. It's okay if there are a few very small lumps. If your vegan pancake batter seems too runny or too thick you can adjust it by adding in a spoonful of flour or soy milk as needed.
- Heat an electric griddle to about 375° Fahrenheit. Wait a few minutes to let it heat up properly before you start adding your pancake batter. You can make one small test pancake to make sure it's up to temperature.
- Add some vegan butter to the griddle to lubricate the surface, then pour on the pancake batter to the size of your choice. I prefer to make smaller pancakes because they are easier to flip!
- When the pancake batter starts to look dry on the edges and the bubbles have started opening on the surface, you can flip them once. Cook on the reverse side until it is also golden brown.
- Serve pancakes while they are warm, with vegan butter, maple syrup, fresh fruits, or other toppings of your choice!
More Vegan Pancake Recipes
Mix up your pancakes by adding different ingredients to give them unique flavors. Here are some of my favorite vegan pancake recipes with added flavors.