I don’t personally love sweet breakfasts, but I like to make them every now and then for my family on Sunday mornings.
Our go-to weekend breakfast treat is muffins — like these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins — but I thought I’d try something even more delicious this time.
Make way for some eggless, dairy-free french toast!
After as out a few different egg substitutes, we settled on the flax egg as the best-tasting vegan egg replacement in this recipe. I always have my family do some taste-testing for me because 9 times out of 10 they are pickier about taste than I am.
I do want to say, though, that other vegan egg replacements such as JUST egg and aquafaba also worked just as well in this recipe.
Using the flax egg, you also get the added benefit of fiber, which is kind of the perfect way to make this “sweet fix” a bit more healthy.
Making French Toast In The Instant Pot
Before I go any further, I want to mention that it’s important to make sure your Instant Pot lid, silicone seal, gasket etc are all freshly cleaned prior to making french toast.
I learned the hard way — I had made my vegan chili the same day, and the lid didn’t “look” dirty at all, but the oils naturally occurring in the spices used in the chili had made their way into my silicone seal.
Since french toast easily absorbs flavors and odors, what I ended up with was a french toast that had an undertone of chili spice. So wash your lid, folks!
The next thing you’ll need in this recipe is some kind of pan that you can place into the inner pot. I used a 7″ spring form pan, but you could also use a silicone one.
You’ll also need to whip out the little wire basket thing that came with your Instant Pot, to hold the pan on.
We’ll be creating a water bath to cook the french toast, so you’ll place the wire basket in first, pour in a cup of water, and then add in your french toast pan when you’re ready to cook.
How To Make The Flax Eggs
Making the flax eggs is really simple and only takes five minutes.
First take 5 tablespoons of water and put it in a small bowl or cup. Then add 2 tablespoons of ground flax, and stir until all the flax is moistened. This is enough to make 2 “eggs” worth, which is how much you need for this french toast recipe.
Let the flax meal and water rest for about five minutes, then check it. It should have become slightly thicker and almost gooey.
I recommend starting with warm water when making flax eggs, because I think it helps the flaxseed meal soften up a bit quicker.
Vegan Instant Pot French Toast
- 6-8 pieces of bread preferably artisan bread
- 2 “flax eggs” JUST egg or aquafaba is fine too
- 1 1/2 cups oat milk or almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Grease a 7" springform pan with coconut oil. Insert the steam rack into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup water.
- Place bread cubes into the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg substitute, almond/oat milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamon, and brown sugar. Pour over the bread and press the bread down into the pan until it is all completely moistened.
- Lock the instant pot lid in place. Using the manual setting, set the instant pot on high pressure to cook for 12 minutes. Once finished cooking, let sit for 5 minutes before quick releasing the pressure valve. Carefully open the lid and remove the pan from the instant pot using the foil strips. Loosely cover and let cool for 10 minutes to let everything settle before serving.
- Top with powdered sugar or maple syrup if desired.