The best vegan cinnamon rolls recipe – for a breakfast or brunch treat that’s extra sweet, try baking up some of these perfectly swirled vegan cinnamon rolls? You’ll love taking a bite into these warm layers of chewy dough and buttery cinnamon-sugar filling.
Sometimes when I’m eating these vegan cinnamon rolls I dream of opening a vegan bakery. Or a little vegan cafe, with cool music… and movie nights. Anyway…
You can make your own little cafe style cinnamon rolls at home, the vegan way. I’m not sure if you can see by the picture, but I make mine a little differently. I don’t like cinnamon rolls that have been covered and smothered in sticky sugar-mucus. Ew.
Instead I add a little glaze and then sprinkle on some of this gorgeous pearl sugar – while the buns are still hot!
I cut my cinnamon rolls a little differently too. The traditional way is to roll the whole thing up into a log and cut it into segments. But I find I get a nicer shape – slightly mounded in the center – if I cut strips and then roll them loosely, pressing the outer end at the base.
And don’t crowd them in the pan – give them about 1/2″ at least in space. If you do those things, it turns the cinnamon rolls into a lovely flower shape like this:
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
For The Dough:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
For The Filling:
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the 1/4 c warm water. Allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients for the dough and mix well. Cover and let rest until dough has doubled in size, about 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Punch down dough and knead for about 5 minutes on floured surface. Roll into a large rectangle as thick as a pencil.
- Mix the filling ingredients in a bowl and spread it over the whole surface of the dough. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into strips across the short side of the rectangle. Roll each strip loosely to make spirals, slightly tucking and pressing the end into the bottom. Place the spirals in a greased 9"x13" pan. For tighter cinnamon rolls, use a 9"x9" pan.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 25-35 minutes. Cook longer for chewier, cook less for softer.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl and brush over the baked cinnamon rolls. Sprinkle on the pearl sugar. Bake for another 5-10 minutes so the sugar will stick to the rolls.