Mother Earth Bowl
- 4 cups ancient grains mix
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 sweet potato sliced & roasted
- 1 cup white mushrooms sliced & roasted
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 avocados halved
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2 cups cucumber (diced)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Red Pepper Miso Dressing
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- 2 ½ Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ⅓ Tbsp white miso
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Cook brown rice/quinoa/ancient grains according to package instructions. (I used the packaged brown rice and quinoa blend from Seeds of Change. To heat, I add the whole packet to a saucepan with 1/4 cup of water and heat on low, covered, about 15 minutes).
- Spread 1 cup sliced mushrooms and the sliced sweet potato on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake another 10 minutes.
- Add the 1 Tbsp oil and and sliced onion to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until caramelized.
- Prepare the cucumber relish and dressings while the hot ingredients are cooking. (Instructions for them below).
- To assemble the bowls, add cooked rice/grain to a bowl. Add desired portions of cooked sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, fresh spinach, and sliced avocado. Drizzle the sweet potato with the red pepper miso dressing. Drizzle the spinach with apple cider vinaigrette dressing. Sprinkle with hemp seeds (optional).
Cucumber Relish Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve immediately or marinate up to 8 hours in the fridge. Keeps for 1 day in the fridge.
Red Pepper Miso Dressing Instructions
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until nearly smooth, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately as a salad dressing or sauce to top roasted sweet potatoes. Keeps for 1 week in the fridge.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing Instructions
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar, seal on the lid, and shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Keeps for 1 week in the fridge.
When spring days start warming up as summer approaches, I start craving foods that are super FRESH. Like vegan salads, fruit smoothies or vegan buddha bowls – such as this mother earth bowl.
In case you’re wondering – YES this recipe is inspired by the mother earth bowl at Flower Child, a really cool restaurant that truly has something for everyone – vegans and non-vegans alike. I visited one of their locations this winter and have been craving this dish ever since.
Here’s my take on the mother earth bowl, slightly simplified for cooking at home.