The secret to making great marinara sauce is using lots of fresh garlic and cooking the sauce in a wide skillet. It will enable the sauce to reduce quickly and build up flavor.
Is Marinara Sauce Vegan?
One of the things you learn when you go vegan is that non-vegan products, especially dairy products, seem to wind up in so many foods.
I got sick of checking labels which is why I decided to learn how to make marinara sauce on my own. That way I can make sure that it’s vegan! This marinara is also gluten free, so it’s a win-win.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic sliced razor thin
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- a few pinches of red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- In a wide skillet, heat the garlic in the olive oil until it sizzles, being careful not to let it brown.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and oregano and cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Add the 1/2 cup water and stir it in.
- For a smoother sauce, pour sauce into a food processor and process for about 10 seconds. Or use a blender/immersion blender. Add salt & pepper to taste.