This chocolate no-churn coconut milk ice cream is so delicious. If you were already buying dairy free ice cream, making this vegan ice cream at home will definitely save you money!
After learning how to make vanilla coconut milk ice cream, I knew the next logical step would be to make a chocolate version!
Just like the vanilla ice cream, this chocolate flavored one is very simple. I used cocoa powder to add the chocolate flavor. You can use regular cocoa powder or Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Or you can use cacao powder. They all work!
We’ll make this chocolate ice cream with coconut milk. I always recommend using an organic canned coconut milk for making vegan ice cream – it will have more tasty coconut cream and less filler.
When I started making my own homemade ice cream, I used a blender. But, after buying a food processor, I find that the wider opening in the container and larger blade makes it a lot easier and quicker to make ice cream.
Vegan Ice Cream Recipe – No Churn
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (can sub cacao powder)
- 1/2 cup plant milk (I usually use oat or soy milk)
- Whisk the coconut milk, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract together completely, then pour into silicone muffin molds.
- Place the mold in the freezer and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the silicone mold from the freezer and add all the frozen ice cream pieces to a blender or food processor. Add in the plant milk.
- Blend until you have smooth ice cream, using a tamper or scraper to push the frozen chunks into the blade. It will be like soft-serve ice cream if you serve it now.
- For scoopable ice cream, put the ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze for another 2-3 hours.
- The vanilla extract is important in this recipe – it helps prevent the ice cream from forming into a solid block of ice.