After learning how to make vanilla coconut milk ice cream, I knew the next logical step would be to make a chocolate version!
Just like the vanilla ice cream, this chocolate flavored one is very simple. I used cocoa powder to add the chocolate flavor. You can use regular cocoa powder or Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Or you can use cacao powder. They all work!
We’ll make this chocolate ice cream with coconut milk. I always recommend using an organic canned coconut milk for making vegan ice cream – it will have more tasty coconut cream and less filler.
When I started making my own homemade ice cream, I used a blender. But, after buying a food processor, I find that the wider opening in the container and larger blade makes it a lot easier and quicker to make ice cream.
Vegan Ice Cream Recipe – No Churn
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (can sub cacao powder)
- 1/2 cup plant milk (I usually use oat or soy milk)
- Whisk the coconut milk, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract together completely, then pour into silicone muffin molds.
- Place the mold in the freezer and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the silicone mold from the freezer and add all the frozen ice cream pieces to a blender or food processor. Add in the plant milk.
- Blend until you have smooth ice cream, using a tamper or scraper to push the frozen chunks into the blade. It will be like soft-serve ice cream if you serve it now.
- For scoopable ice cream, put the ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze for another 2-3 hours.
- The vanilla extract is important in this recipe – it helps prevent the ice cream from forming into a solid block of ice.